Tuesday, October 21, 2014

A Lesson Learned From Evangelism

Lately, I have become very pleased with the progress of my blog.  I am updating daily, and am managing to keep topics varied and creative.  I have a desire to share this blog with everyone of course.  But for now, I am restricting the "sharing" to a small circle of friends and acquaintances.  Of course, if you find yourself here... please stay!  :)

Incidentally, I have these little mini business cards that I had printed about six years ago.  They're very pretty.  So I wrote my URL on the back, and have passed out a few.  Not to strangers, mind you.  Acquaintances that I have known for a good number of months.  Maybe five or so.  Part of me felt nervous, but my desire to share my work overcame this feeling.

This reminds me of three years ago.  At the time, I had joined an Independent Fundamental Baptist church in Queens.  I was only a member of the church for about six months, but during my time there I was heavily involved.  I attended both Sunday services, a weekly prayer meeting and a couple of bible education courses.  I also taught violin lessons to a few children and became involved in evangelism efforts.  Once a week, we would plant ourselves on a busy patch of sidewalk armed with gospel tracts in a few languages.  As people walked by, we would hold our tracts out with a warm smile on our faces, optimistic of God's providence.  We were 100% confident in His powerful gospel, that it would work in the hearts of those who passed by.  I look back now, with my atheist perspective, and see this effort as somewhat tragic and mortifying.  Warmhearted people passionately sharing information vital to their lives, all communicated in a little pamphlet.  Strangers walking by, some with sneers, others feigning ignor-ance (the act of ignoring), and still others reaching out a receiving hand.  A glance inside a nearby garbage can would always reveal a few tracts, clearly unread.  These sights must have terribly pained the hearts of my brethren, my brothers and sisters in Christ.  You might think that I disdain these people for their conservative views.  There is plenty of that going around.  But really, I appreciate that I got to know these people.  They were kind, and received me with open arms.  I know that I pained them greatly with my leaving.

This experience of passing out tracts is somewhat similar to what I am doing now with my blog.  I have information that I want to share.  I want people to read this blog.  I have these little cute cards that I want to hand out.  But I'm choosing not to share the URL with everyone I see on the street.  Just a few people at a time.  Over the years, I have learned that patience is the greatest of virtues.  Any truly rewarding result is usually the fruit of much preparatory work.  Susan Boyle may have been an overnight sensation with her television appearance, but I am certain that it took her many years to get to the point where she could sing so well.

I also do not want to subject myself to ridicule at this time.  Maybe later.  When I'm braver.

No comments:

Post a Comment